IEEE MAS section Guidelines for applying IEEE HAC/SIGHT Project Proposal
The IEEE Humanitarian Activities Committee (HAC) provides a suite of resources that inspire and enable IEEE volunteers around the world to carry out and support impactful humanitarian technology and sustainable development activities at the local level. One mechanism for this is the funding of such projects.
While this is an exceptional situation, HAC and SIGHT still require that teams have relevant technical and other expertise to credibly execute the project. Projects MUST comply with all national/federal, state, and local guidelines and restriction
Attributes of projects considered
- HAC/SIGHT provide funding to support local IEEE volunteers who have identified community challenges in consultation with local stakeholders and are providing solutions locally – i.e. “feet on the ground.”
- Projects must articulate the need of a local, underserved community and how and why they will benefit.
- Active “Local” IEEE volunteer involvement means that key IEEE members responsible for implementing the project are currently living in the country/countries where the project is to take place.
- Projects must have active local community involvement including relevant stakeholder groups
- Proposals must clearly articulate the impact of the project and how it will be measured. This should include collecting the learnings from the project.
- While projects must have some technology component and leverage IEEE’s core competencies, these can be applied to any focus area (e.g., Agriculture, Education, Energy, Healthcare, Water and Sanitation, etc.).
IEEE MAS is the fiscal agent for the projects submitted under IEEE MAS purview. Please note that all the proposals must be submitted to IEEE MAS prior to the submission to HAC. Projects recommended by the Co-ordinator SIGHT and treasurer of IEEE MAS alone shall be eligible for final submission to HAC.
IEEE MAS encourages the SIGHT groups under its purview to utilize this opportunity and actively contribute their expertise to the society.
Eligibility to apply
- IEEE members in good standing and IEEE organizational units (OUs) are eligible to submit proposals. Projects that primarily involve student members must have a higher grade IEEE member as project lead who must justify continuity after student turnover.
- IEEE Madras Section – must act as the fiscal agent. Applicants must discuss this with the Treasurer and the Co-ordinator SIGHT prior to proposal submission. IEEE financial requirements for funding disbursements will apply.
- IEEE is subject to the full range of U.S. economic sanctions and export control laws, and complies with all applicable regulations. Because U.S. economic sanctions and export controls are subject to frequent change, please review the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control’s Sanctions list to determine if your country can receive funding or contact [email protected] with any questions before applying.
The complete details of the funding and application of proposals shall be available at https://sight.ieee.org/apply-for-ieee-sight-funding/.
IEEE MAS Section guidelines
IEEE members of Madras section purview are informed to follow the below guidelines strictly while applying for the funding:
- The application/proposal should be submitted to the section at-least 5 working days prior to the deadline (if any).
- Since, the section would be a fiscal agent of the funding, the proposal should be routed through the section.
- The proposal should be submitted to HAC/SIGHT only after getting NOC and endorsement from the section.
- Upon receiving the funding from the HQ by the section, the applicant should provide a break-up of the project with phase by phase execution and timelines.
- The section will release 40% of the total funding as an advance and the remaining 60% will be released in three phases each 20% on successful completion of the project in the subsequent phases.
- Phase by phase reports should be submitted by the applicant for the subsequent funding releases.
- The project should be completed as per the proposed schedule and the section SIGHT representatives will have a site visit to ensure the successful completion of the project.
- Upon completion of the project, all the bills and accounts should be submitted to the section as per the section guidelines.
- The applicant, branch counsellor and the Principal should sign the undertaking form for the financial liabilities. The form is available in the section website.
- The funding will be transferred only to the IEEE SB account of the respective institute.
- All the correspondence regarding the proposal from application to the bill settlement shall be made through (cc to the below member)
Dr. Kumarappan N ([email protected]), Chairman, IEEE MAS
Dr. Joseph Gladwin ([email protected]), Treasurer, IEEE MAS
Dr. Thangaprakaash Sengodan ([email protected]), Co-ordinator, IEEE SIGHT, MAS